10/31/10

Same same, but different!

Same same, but different....the Thai phrase of choice to describe most anything!  What on earth does it mean????

After settling into my new apartment and doing a bit of exploration around my town, Alana and I packed up and headed to Ko Samet, and island 3 hours from Bangkok in the Gulf of Thailand. 

Travelling in Thailand is somewhat like closing your eyes and throwing a dart, hoping it ends up where you want it to.  If someone asked me how to get from Bangkok to Ko Samet I would have no idea how to direct them.  We took a bus from Bangkok to another bus in Rayong to a Sung Taw (a covered truck) to a boat to the island.  I have no idea if these buses have numbers or specific routes as there are very few actual bus stops, just hand-painted signs on the side of the street.  When we reached the dock to take the ferry from mainland to the island we were all exhausted and ready to end our travelling. 

At the dock our friend Allison, another teacher on our program, ran into a Thai teacher from her school on vacation with her family, and she offered to take us on her chartered speedboat to the island.  Needless to say we were extremely grateful!!!

We arrived on the island without a hostel thinking we would just wonder around and find a cheap room. Upon hearing we were "homeless" Pammy (the Thai teacher) becomame very concerned and offered us one of the beds in her bungalow.  To clarify, a woman who had never met Alana or I and had only briefly known Allison wanted to give us a bed in her bungalow while she, her husband, and her three grown sons slept in one bed.  Obviously we thanked her dearly for the boat ride and the offer but refused, insisting that we could easily find a room on our own.  I think she may have been slightly offended that we did not accept.

We walked into town to look for lunch and a place to stay and found both in one adorable bar/restaraunt.  We ended up staying in the guest room of this restaraunt owned by a bubbly Finnish woman who had recently moved to Ko Samet. 

Ko Samet's nighlife, which all takes place directly on the beach,  is famous for its extensive fire shows.  A troop of shirtless, sweatly Thai men light things on fire and spin and twirl and throw them about.  The shows were incredible and by the second night, after befriending the fire twirlers, with no training to speak of, I was dancing on the beach swinging two balls of fire around my head.

There are no rules in Thailand! 

After a relaxing weekend on this amazing island that ended with a $6 hour-long Thai massage on the beach we headed back to Prapradaeng with our new Thai friends, Gift and Arm. 

I spent my Halloween weekend in Bangkok exploring the Chatachuk weekend market, which is immense, and dance party-ing on Ko San Road.  Although Halloween is not really celebrated in Thailand, Alana and I sported sea-creature hats, the octopus and the shark, and everyone LOVED them. 

School starts tomorrow and I am pretty unprepared.  Due to the slight language barrier between myself and my coordinator I am unclear as to the ages and english level of any of my students.  Oh well, I guess I will find out tomorrow.

Wish me, and my students, luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment